Re: backup all the changes I made to the "virgin debian system"

On Monday 24 June 2002 18:03, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:25:33AM -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 June 2002 23:40, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > > Thanks Brian for the CVS tips.  But even if I were to go that route I
> > > must still locate all the files except for in /home that I have
> > > changed from the virgin debian system.
> >
> > I imagine it would be relatively straight forward to write a shell script
> > that uses dpkg --listfiles to get a list of files for a given package
> > than compare their modification time against the datetime when the
> > package was installed.
>
> The modtime of an unmodified file from a .deb is not necessarily the
> time when the package was installed, since tar (and hence dpkg)
> preserves the modtimes it finds in the archive it's unpacking. You would
> need to download each .deb and use 'dpkg -c' to get the detailed file
> list.

I think I'm starting to see the problem.  As far as I can tell, dpkg does not
record the datetime when any particular package is installed/upgraded, and I
can't find anywhere else where this information is maintained either.  The
trick then becomes accurately determining this information from some other
set of heuristics.

Apt obviously know's how to grab a .deb given a package name and set of
sources.  Perhaps this could be leveraged, so as to avoid reinventing the
wheel.

Ian