Re: exim error: What does it mean?

If there are any mailing list and exim experts out there I would
appreciate a second set of eyeballs on what I've done.

Quoting Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> on Mon, Jun 24 07:55:

> What does this mean?
>
> # /usr/sbin/exim   -v -M 17MVAm-0002nz-00
> delivering message 17MVAm-0002nz-00
> LOG: 0 MAIN PANIC DIE
>   Neither the system_aliases director nor the address_pipe transport
>	 set a uid for local delivery of | /usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue
>	 gods-creatures@ursine.dyndns.org

>From a google search I managed to piece together something that worked.
First, I moved all of the sympa specific aliases into a separate
aliases file (/etc/aliases.sympa).  Then I added the following to
exim's 'TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION' section:
----- Begin TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION -----
sympa_list_pipe:
   driver = pipe
	user = sympa
	group = sympa
	return_fail_output
----- End TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION -----

And this to exim's 'DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION' section:
----- Begin DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION -----
sympa_lists:
   driver = aliasfile
   search_type = lsearch
   file = /etc/aliases.sympa
   pipe_transport = sympa_list_pipe
----- End DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION -----

I put the above after the system_aliases: and before the userforward:
sections.

I had to take the domain part out of the aliases (that is, the part to
the left of the colon) in /etc/aliases.sympa in order to get it to work.  I
believe there is an option in the exim config that will allow domains
in the alias file but I don't know what it is.  My /etc/aliases.sympa
looks like this:
----- Begin aliases.sympa -----
#-- SYMPA begin
## Aliases used for the sympa mailing-list manager
sympa: "| /usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
sympa-request: postmaster
sympa-owner: postmaster
listmaster: postmaster
#-- SYMPA end

#
----- End aliases.sympa -----

Hope this helps,
   Omen

--
The first myth of management is that it exists.