Re: /etc/hosts etc

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 at 17:59:25 -0700, Marc Barnett wrote:

> > The only line I have now in the file is:-
> >       127.0.0.1   <machine name>.clara.co.uk   <machine name>
>
> Change this to:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost <machine name>.clara.co.uk <machine name>

Have done so, and it seems to work - at least now I'm trying to wade
through over 22,000 newsgroups my ISP has and decide which to
subscribe to.

> or alternatively
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> <your ip> <machine name>.clara.co.uk <machine name

This I presume would be if I had a static DNS or was on a LAN.

> > Trying to ping localhost now says 'unknown host host' and pinging
> > localhost says 'unknown host localhost' and this was not the
> > case before I changed /etc/hosts. I've never understood how
> > loopback works and have assumed 127.0.0.1 was how all machines
> > refer to themselves.
>
> 127.0.0.1 does always refer the machine to itself[1], but humans
> use "localhost".  Such translations need to occur in the
> /etc/hosts file (or in DNS, but that's secondary to your problem)
>
> > After a couple of years being mystified by FQDN's I thought at
> > long last I did understood - now I just don't know.
>
> Fully Qualified Domain Name, it's the name used to get your IP
> from DNS without using or requiring local assumptions.
>
> For instance "www.debian.org" is "klecker.debian.org" and both are
> the FQDN. "klecker" is enough to get to the machine from itself or
> other machines configured to assume "debian.org" but the full name
> is required to get to it from the rest of the world.
>
> 1: Assuming you have a lo device and it's configured, etc, etc...
> Too much complication doesn't do anything but muddle the answer.

I'm very grateful for your help - clearly it has help me understand
quite a bit more. Many thanks,

John.