Alpha GNU software

Hi,

Is there a policy in Debian on packaging "alpha" GNU software?
Officially (ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/README), distributing it is
discouraged, but some GNU software seems to be released even less often
than Debian distributions. ;-P

So, as a user I'm quit happy that tar, for example, is keeping up with
the "upstream alpha" releases (else, there wouldn't be an option to use
bzip); but other packages are not that recent. I'd really like to have a
newer version of fileutils in Debian (so I could apply the patches to
support ACLs on Linux), but that package is stuck at 4.1. Granted, it's
only one year old, instead of almost three like the "upstream stable"
tar would be, but still...

I suppose it's up to the maintainer if they want to track "alpha" or
stick with "stable"?

--
"I asked mom if I was a gifted child... she said they certainly
 wouldn't have *paid* for me."