Snort on Debian - no alerts? no reports?

Hi,

Debian Unstable
snort:
  Installed: 1.8.6-3
  Candidate: 1.8.6-3

I have installed snort and I'm getting no email alerts, and the daily
reports are blank.

Once a day I get an email report from snort which is basically blank,
here is the top part of it:

Subject: snort daily report

 The log begins from:   ::
 The log ends     at:   ::
 Total events: 0
 Signatures recorded: 0
 Source IP recorded: 0
 Destination IP recorded: 0

When I run snort manually using: 'snort -v -i ppp0' I can see the
traffic. I ssh to a remote box I have root privs on and run a nmap -sS
and can see my scan scolling up the screen.

My question is why no emailed alerts? This is how I installed it:

apt-get install snort
, then I configured it (below is snort.debian.conf

 DEBIAN_SNORT_HOME_NET="10.0.0.0/24"
DEBIAN_SNORT_OPTIONS=" -i ppp0"
DEBIAN_SNORT_STATS_RCPT="alerts"
DEBIAN_SNORT_STATS_TRESHOLD="1"