can't read sid from /proc/1/stat

Hello

I just started having this very strange problem with my Debian install.

I've tried rebooting and that hasn't helped. I'm running woody on the Debian 'packaged' kernel 2.2.17.

Whenever I try to do a command like ps/w/uptime it just freezes with no output and I have to Control-C out of it.

However when I do pidof ssh, I am able to get it to say
pidof: can't read sid from /proc/1/stat
Segmentation fault

When I try to halt/reboot the computer it won't cleanly unmount the file systems, and will give some can't read sid from errors..

The proc file system is correctly mounted.

I'm very confused.

Thanks in advance!