scsi emulation support is not working

Hello,

I have two ide-atapi devices: a cdrom and a crwriter. The cdrom is at
hdc and the cdwriter is at hdd, as showed by dmesg:

"hdc: ATAPI 56X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache"

I order to put the cdwriter to work, I've compiled the kernel with "scsi
support", "scsi generict support" and "scsi emulation support". These
option are loaded at boot time, as showed by dmesg:

"SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices"

I have alse added the line

append = "hdd=ide-scsi"

in lilo.conf. (Thanks to Arthur, Sebastian and Robert!)

After reboot, I can access to both devices without problems.

To burn the cd's I have installed xcdroast. When I run xcdroast for the
first time as root I get the message:

"Failed to scan the SCSI-bus. Either no permission to access the generic
scsi devices or no SCSI support enabled in the kernel. For ATAPI devices
you have to install the SCSI-emulation first"

But all I need is already compiled into the kernel!

In the help of the "scsi emulation support" said the following:

"If both this SCSI emulation and
native ATAPI support are compiled into the kernel, the native support
will be used."

In fact, this is the case, I have compiled the ide-atapi cdrom support
into the kernel too, in order to use the cdrom at hdc. Perhaps the
option in lilo (append = "hdd=ide-scsi") doesn't overwrite the native
ide-atapi support for the cdwriter at hdd? If this is the case, what
should I do? perhaps not compile at all the native ide-atapi support for
cdrom, and use the scsi emulation support to acces both devices, the
cdrom and the cdwriter?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Marcelo

--