Re: man or info?

on Thu, Jun 20, 2002, W. Paul Mills (wpmills@Mills-USA.com) wrote:
> cjwatson@debian.org (Colin Watson) writes:

> Seems like I never can find what I want in info. Man pages are
> much easier. Then again a friendlier info browser might help.

No, scrap the whole format.  DocBook w/ mandetory manpages would be a
good start.

We hashed this all out about six months ago, Dec 24 (guess who was
spending a lonely Christmas?  <sniff>).

My main arguments are detailed here:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04038.html

"It's about as intuitive as...well, emacs".  God I love me sometimes....
;-)

Cherry picking a few of my other contributions to that thread:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04005.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04096.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04093.html

...and it looks like I was just starting to get warmed up here:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04047.html

    > you can [...] quickly
    ...get utterly and completely lost in the Info hierarchy...?

...warmer...

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04054.html

    There is a man-like summary which can be extracted from the Info
    format and turned into something remotely resembling a man page,
    somewhat in the way a cat might be said to resemble a horse:
    neither can operate a can opener.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux books:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/linux-books.html