RE: trying to copy the / (root) partition

hi ya erik

assuming oyu have copied everything from /dev/hda  to /dev/hdc
and ready to boot /dev/hdc as your main system

a. make a boot floppy .. easiest wayt o make a "boot loader"
	dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

b. swap the disks so that the new one is /dev/hda

c. boot it .. using the floppy ...
	run lilo to clean things up ...

all done

if you dont have a floppy... you can try changing lilo.conf
	- do NOT modify your original ..make a copy of it
	# cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.hdc.conf
	# change boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc
	# lilo -c /etc/lilo.hdc.conf

- swap the cables ont h disk and hope its all happy
	ortherwise.. use the floppy boot mechanism
	or any other booting floppy/cdrom

c ya
alvin

duplicating/copying/moving disk nano-howto... :-)

- to copy (root) stuff from  /dev/hda to /dev/hdc
	- doesn't copy empty inodes and bits
	- doesn't copy good info into bad-blocks on the target
	- use your partition scheme

  while booted on /dev/hda
	mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1
	tar cf - /bin /boot /dev /etc /lib /sbin | \
		( cd /mnt/hdc1 ; tar xvfp -)
	( cd /mnt/hdc1 ; mkdir var home usr tmp ; chmod 1777 tmp )

- to cp rest of (non-root stuff ) /var /usr /home sorta the same way

    for /var
	mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2
	( cd /var ;  tar cf - * ) | ( cd /mnt/hdc2 ; tar xvfp - )

    for /usr
	mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt/hdc3
	( cd /usr ;  tar cf - * ) | ( cd /mnt/hdc3 ; tar xvfp - )

    for /home
	mount /dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5
	( cd /home ;  tar cf - * ) | ( cd /mnt/hdc5 ; tar xvfp - )

- do the floppy or lilo or grub or  normal boot fd/cdrom ...
  to fix the mbr