Re: i made a boo-boo

Mail forwarded back to list - Chris

----- Forwarded message from Larry Smith <doccpu@yahoo.com> -----
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Larry Smith <doccpu@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: i made a boo-boo
To: Chris Kenrick <chrisk@aurema.com>

I think this may have happened:

The LILO entry is the name of a link in the root
directory.  It links to an actual kernel file in the
boot directory.

If you copy over the file in the /boot directory with
a new kernel, I think you need to remove and remake
the link in the root directory.

Something like this:

ln -s /boot/vmlinuz_2.2.19 vmlinuz

You'll need to boot from the CD or a boot floppy to
get to your hard disk, then maybe this will solve your
problem.

As has been suggested, it's best to make your new
kernal a different LILO entry, leaving you the option
to boot back to your original kernel.

If you do that, copy your new kernel into the /boot
directory by some name you choose, make a link to it
in the root directory (/), and use the root name as
the LILO entry, giving in a different label, like
"new" or something.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

----- End forwarded message -----