RE:linux and laptops

Deedra Waters writes:
 > I'm supposed to start school in august, and I'm getting a gateway solo
 > 1450 for a laptop for classes. I'm curious as to wether any of you know
 > how well this type of laptop will work with linux. I've heard both that
 > the gateway laptops work with linux and that they don't.
 >
 > I'm curious as to wether any of you can give me a better idea.

As another poster suggested, look at linux-laptops.net.  I've
personally had good experiences installing Debian on Sony Vaios (C1XS
as well as later picturebooks), Dell Inspirons (8000 and 8200 except
for power management), and the Gateway Solo 3450 (fonts are really
ugly, although I never looked into this problem).  I suspect that most
modern laptops will work fine, more or less.  I've had the easiest
install on the Dells, and I just prefer them overall--the power is
kind of annoying, but I just have two batteries, anyhow.

Andrew.