Re: Connecting to Network..

Hi all,

I have a similar problem as Matt.
The only difference with me is that I forgot my ethernet card was smc
and so bypassed the network configuration screen during installation
process of debian.  My question is:  Do I just have to insmod the correct
ethernet card driver into my running kernel (I'm using 2.2.x kernel)
to setup my network?  Following this I would need a way to configure
DHCP so I could connect to net via my cable modem.  Is there a script
that does this setup?  Thanks for your help on this in advance :-)

If you (Matt) selected your ethernet device from the list and everything went
ok then you should have seen a option for configuring your card (ie use DHCP
or provide your own IP address).  If you didn't see this option then perhaps
you picked the wrong device from the menu.  In either case you would only
use PPP for dial-up connections to the internet.

~~Nick

matthew@tedder.com wrote:

I got Debian installed through through the net install version, but it never connected me to the network.

There was a point at which it asked me if I wanted to setup a point-to-point connection, but I just want to connect to the network and the gateway server for Internet. So I said "No" and no other options arose for connecting to the Internet.

This also means that I now have a very basic install and cannot apt-get anything over the Internet, as I was hoping to do.

Should I have said yes to a PPP connection?! Do I now have to set this up manually or is there a utility?

Matthew