Installing 2.2r4 on a Compaq Evo machine

Dear All,

Apologies if this is a trivial question, but I've installed a few Debian systems
and have never come across this one!

I'm trying to install 2.2r4 on a standard corporate Compaq Evo (1.8GHz Pentium)
machine - 20GB hard disk on the primary master (not cable select) and CDROM on
secondary master. At the moment I've not freed any disk space - the hard disk
has one Windoze NT partition.

When I boot from CDROM I get the welcome screen. I press return and the system
is probed for IDE devices (both found) and SCSI devices (none present - none
found). I then get a couple of lines of gibberish numbers enclosed in square
brackets [] which seem to describe details of the existing Windows partition.

Then I get the line:

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00.

At which point it hangs.

I've tried using the same installation disks on another older Compaq desktop,
and a Dell laptop. In both cases the system got to the blue "choose your
keyboard layout" screen. I'm happy this is not an issue with the lack of a free
disk partition - neither of the machines that worked had one, and I'm way before
the stage where I need to interact with the disk anyway.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, and best wishes,

Phill Cook

Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in England No
2178917, with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park,
Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.