simple (?) post install 2.2r6 problems

Ok, I managed to get my potato baked, and despite some problems with
Xwindows I got that as well as gnome running (with mouse!)..

..however there are a few things that didn't quite work out
properly.

- Xwindows starts up into 640 x 480 8 bit color mode. It should run 32 bit
colors under 1280 x 1024?!? How to change into 32 bit color?
Cycling modes with 'ctrl-alt-+' shows only 8 bit the color modes...

- Mouse buttons are kind of strange. 'Windows' menu works with any button, as
does 'window select' but I cannot get the 'Applications' menu to show up with
any mouse button binding.. any ideas?

Minor probs:
- Netscape is not working. 'dpgk --status netscape' says 'purge ok not
installed'. 'apr-get install netscape' says 'Some packages could not be
installed... impossible situation.. ..or you are using unstable distribution..'
etc, well this is the stable one?

I would like to use an browser with secure connections, so the mozilla I
am currently using isn't good enough.. Maybe go to 'testing' distro and
update the whole works?

Jani