Kernel Panic - ext2 vs cramfs

I give up.
I've been going over old posts on this, but I just don't get it.

Here's the problem, I installed kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 using dselect.
After installation, I go to my lilo.conf and add in the line initrd=/initrd.img and having saved the file type lilo.
Just so we can get that out of the way.
Now, on my personal computer after updating to 2.4.xx, I made the same changes, but I notices that during the boot there is a line entry:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)

However, on the computer that experiences this classic Kernal Panic error, this line reads:
VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem)

Now, reading through the posts and looking at man pages, I understood that cramfs was necessary with the new kernel in order to read initrd.img. However, it's not the way my personal computer is booting. No?

Going by analysis, the 'newer' computer should read ext2 instead of cramfs, but how can I force that? I looked to changing /etc/mkinitrd/modules but then is this the answer?

Very, very, very confusing.

Can anyone help me despite all that has been written about this in previous posts?

Curtis