Re: SCSI parity errors

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Sebastiaan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with my SCSI harddisk/controller which occurs more often
> lately. The errors have the form:
>
> (scsi0:A:1:0): parity error detected in Data-in phase. SEQADDR(0x7c) SCSIRATE(0x88)
>
> and are repeatedly printed in the system logs, until the partitions are
> mounted read-only.
>

> Usually I have to turn off the computer, press on the SCSI-card (I still
> have the idea that the card is literally broken, but unsure if this is the

Hallo Sebastiaan,

If pressing on the card is helpful why not clean the contacts with a
pencil eraser?  I've done this cheap trick before.  Maybe when you press
on the card it scrapes the contacts enough to get a good connection for
awhile???  Maybe try a diff PCI slot?

> Could this be due by:
> - an aging harddisk (less than 5 years old, Quantum Viking II),

You could use SCSI-Select (press CTRL-A when the card's vendor
string pops up on the screen) to verify the media.  This won't hurt
your data.  (Don't format the disk tho...)

I check my Atlas II occasionally...

> - incorrect connection hardware (parity on or off, termination etc. I am
> pretty sure it is ok, and it is the only device on the bus)
> - the card IS broken
> - something else?
>

> I use kernel 2.4.18 with the new aic7xxx driver for Adaptec 2940 card.

This is an ultra wide card (2940UW) yes?
I use the same card with a Quantum Atlas II (XP32275W) with no problems.
(Wide SCSI [ non LVD ] connector going to the hdd)

> Thanks in advance,
> Sebastiaan

Good luck!  (Tot straks!)

Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net