Re: Woody+initrd+raid1+boot = :-(

Thanks George, I am getting closer :)

+ George Karaolides <george@karaolides.com> [18.06.02 11:23]:
[...]
> # Better use the first BIOS ID for the disk we'll boot from;
> # we'll use the BIOS setup to boot from this
> disk=/dev/hdc
> 	bios=0x80

What exactly does that do?

[...]
> You don't need initrd if the RAID stuff is compiled into your kernel.  If
> the RAID stuff is in the form of modules, then to make the initrd for your
> new system, just do
>
> chroot /mnt mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd
>
> to create an initrd image /boot/initrd (or your choice of filename).
> mkinitrd is good at detecting what modules to include; I haven't yet had
> an instance where I needed to tell it what to include.

This was finally one reason why it did not work here. I had to create
the initrd out of chroot, this was it got /dev/md*, raidmodules and
other things needed to get raid running.

I did not even have to change the partition type to autodetect, since
raidstart and such are available in initrd.

[...]
> Done; you have a fully redundant disk system, down to the MBR's.

True, but I am stuck and booting while simulating a broken secondary IDE
controller.

If I take off the master cable (powered off of course) I can boot into
the raid - and get the following messages:

md: could not lock [dev 03:03] sero-size? Marking faulty
md: could not import [dev 03:03], trying to mount raid nevertheless
md: autorun
former device [dev 03:03] is unavailable, removing from array

So it just ignores hda and boots into the remaining mirrored hdc.

But after rebuilding the raidset and removing the cable to the secondary
controller i get:

ide0 on 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x 3f6 on IRQ14
md: could not lock [dev 16:03] sero-size? Marking faulty
md: could not import [dev 16:03]
md: autostart [dev 16:03] failed
/dev/md1: invalid argument
Kernel panic, because of missing root.

To fix I've tried to make the partitions raid-autodetect, created a new
initrd (because the old one still had "failed-disk" in it) and finally
added "
        disk=/dev/hda
        bios=0x80
        disk=/dev/hdc
        bios=0x80
" to lilo.conf.

with no luck - any last hint before it finally works as expected?

      Balu