Re: usb mouse and XFree86 config problem

At 1024402523s since epoch (06/18/02 07:15:23 -0400 UTC), Bill from Tampa wrote:
> "cannot open device /dev/input/mice  No such device".
>
> /dev/input/mice seems to exist, however.

"Seems" to exist?  Is it actually there, or not?  It would be best to
actually check.

If it's there, can you try configuring gpm (for console-based mouse
support) to use /dev/input/mice?  When X is acting up, I usually try
to make sure that everything works somewhere else as well.

As far as the USB support goes, it should work with both the 2.2 and
2.4 series of debian kernels.  I just installed woody on a new machine
last week, and my USB keyboard and mouse worked fine on the console
and in X.  (I'm using that box right now to type this, in fact.)

Make sure that you've loaded the correct modules.  The ones I'm using
are for full HID support (this is from /etc/modules):

keybdev
mousedev
hid
input
usb-uhci
usbcore

You can do an 'lsmod' to see if you've got those loaded or not.  If
those modules aren't loaded, maybe what's happened is that your BIOS
is using legacy support to make the USB devices appear as a legacy
keyboard and mouse.  If that's the case, you can either use the
traditional access device (/dev/psaux), or instantiate the modules and
access them through /dev/input/mice.

Hope that helps,

Jason

--