Re: LTSP packages

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 06:46:44AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> I noticed that the ltsp.org has a series of GPLed debian packages
> for use in installing the lstp client/server files necessary.
>
> I am wondering why these packages have not been incorporated into
> the Debian Package library as official packages?
>
> I asked on the ltsp list and the response was two fold:
>
> The lstp .deb maintaner was not yet on the Debian Team.
>
> The ltsp .deb packages would have to be 'non-free' and Debian is
> discouraging non-free packages.  I guess I don't get it.  it's GPLed.

The ltsp debs are non-free because there exists no source packages.

See. http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/termserv-devel/2001-December/000201.html

(It's my understanding that LTSP is made by binaries picked from
various distros, and some things are compiled from source, e.g. the X
packages). AFAIK the LTSP packages does not meet the demands of GPL
and is thus non-free. The problem is not so much of licensees as of
work: no one has uptil now taken the time to gather the source for
these packages, even if is available, under GPL, SOMEWHERE.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand