Re: Trying again... X, KDE, Monitor

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> [Sorry if this is the 2nd or 3rd attempt at posting.  My Mac system here
> is acting wierd, and I'm not sure if the email went or not.]
>
> I have Debian/Woody with KDE login, the kind that shows users' heads,
> and allows options to be selected such as "console login".
>
> Problem is, my monitor just blew, and I'll have to replace it.  But when
> I do, the new one will likely have different SVGA specs than
> the old one.  For this reason, I suspect it would be best to somehow be
> able to interrupt the startup so as to avoid the graphics screen, or at
> least force the graphics into VGA.
>
> Does anyone know how I can best change the monitor's specs for X?
>

>  - Mike
>
> P.S.  In case the followup links don't work, please cc: to
> dscpubl@siltec.lt.  Recently, as indicated above, my Mac has been
> behaving
> a little strangely on email, and part of it is claiming that the
> followup links are invalid.

To change the Monitor settings, you just need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config.
There is a Monitor Section where the Horiz and Vert ranges are.  You will be
using X 4.+ with Woody; so it is possible that you are using
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  If you have XF86Config-4, then it is probably what
is being used.  If not, then you are using XF86Config.  The -4 was just for
when the upgrade occurred from X3 to X4 as far as I know.

You can fix the system to start up in console mode and then run startx after
the login.  To do that first check /etc/inittab and look at what the default
runlevel is.  A line something like this:  id:2:initdefault:  This indicates
runlevel 2.  Then go to /etc/rc2.d (or whatever runlevel you are using) and
change the name for the display manager link - probably kdm since you are
using KDE. If it is S99kdm, do 'mv S99kdm  offS99kdm'  Then when you reboot,
you should get the command line to login.  startx will start KDE.  This way
you can edit your XF86Config file and make sure all is well before you
change that link's name back to what it originally was.

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910