X, KDE login, new monitor

I have debian Woody in a setup with KDE login (that blue login page with
graphics options for such things as console login) installed.

My monitor just blew.  Odds are, whatever monitor I get will have
different specs, and X will have to be reset to the new monitor.

Problem is, if the KDE login comes up in a SVGA mode, then I won't even
be able to see the page to request console login.

How do I most easily make the transition to my new monitor?

  - Mike