Re: tar question from newbie

Hi,

* Abner Gershon <abner_gershon@yahoo.com> [020618 12:23]:
<snip>
> Anyway I change to my home directory, "cd /home". Then
> type "tar -cf /mnt/abner" (I previously mounted
> /dev/hdb7 to /mnt)

The argumen tafter the f needs to be the distination file.

eg.

tar -cf /mnt/abner.tar abner
                   ^^^

 		    To indicate it is a tar file

> Then I get the error message,"tar: Cowardly refusing
> to create and empty archive". I fooled around for a
> couple of hours with different sources and
> destinations for tar file but always got the same
> error message. Aaarghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

It's 'cause tar wanted two areguments (ie. it did not know what to tar)

> By the way I am logged on as root if this helps.
>
> I desperately await your replies. Thanks.

HTH,

Nick.

PS. you can compress the archive with a command like

tar -czf /mnt/abner.tgz abner
                    ^^^

		     This is a convention for showing its tared and gziped

--
Debian 3.0
Linux onefish 2.4.18-lavienx #1 Thu Jun 13 19:04:39 EST 2002 i686 unknown