More modem problems with kernel 2.4.18

I have recently started trying to upgrade my Debian Potato sytem to the
newer 2.4.18 kernel.  Everything is fine except that my USR PnP modem no
longer works.  When I check, it is listed in /proc/isapnp (although with
the incorrect irq--5 instead of 3), and seems to have the correct entry
in /proc/ioports, but has no entry in /proc/interrupts.  Also, dmesg
reports the irq for the modem incorrectly as 5 instead of 3.

The same things happened when I installed Woody on a different disk.

os: Both Debian Potato/Stable and Woody/testing with kernel 2.4.18
modem: US Robotic internal ISA 56k Data (on-card DSP) (prod#: 005687-03)
pppd version 2.4.1
setserial version 2.17, 27-Jan-2000

I have tried searching for help on the net in comp.os.linux.*, the
Debian mail archives, various kernel sites, and the net in general, but
have not yet found any promising leads.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated :)
I will be happy to provide any further necessary information.

Thanks,

-Seth