Re: true type fonts won't work...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronald Verlaan" <ronald@ronaldverlaan.com>
To: "Peter Whysall" <peter.whysall@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: true type fonts won't work...

> On 16 Jun 2002, Peter Whysall wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> > > Any hints?
> >
> > Are you loading the "freetype" module in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ?
> Yes I did :P
> Thanx anyway!

Hi!

Another very easy way is installing xfstt and placing your truetype fonts in
/usr/share/fonts/truetype, adding unix:/7100 (besides unix:/7101 for xfs, I
think) to the FontPath in XF86Config-4. Then install ttmkfdir and tetex-bin
and a package containing "mkfontdir" (i.e. xutils, I think (again *g*)). Go
to the directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype, call the script in the first
chapter of this howto:
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/howto/HOWTO/TT-Debian/TT-Debian-5.html , call
ttmkfdir > fonts.scale , call mkfontdir and look if ./fonts.dir contains the
font names ;). Then call xfstt --sync . Your fonts should be available to X
now. (after a restart of your X server). Finally, you should make your fonts
available for printing (gs), as described in
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/howto/HOWTO/TT-Debian/TT-Debian-4.html ; you
should only take care for where your gs Fontmap actually is (I think it's
now somewhere else than in /etc, see dpkg -S *Fontmap* for the right
location), and change the line xfstt --gslist --sync >> /etc/gs.Fontmap
accordingly. The author of the howto describes, that one should edit the
Fontmap file manually afterwards. That's right. If gs cannot find a font
in - for example a kde document whcih you want to print - , though, and uses
the default font instead, the following way helped at my machine (if I
remember correctly):

1) Force printing to ps.
2) Call gs <psfile>
3) Watch gs output: It will say which font it does not find.
4) Take a look at <psfile> with an editor and search for the font definition
of the font not found - you will find that the spelling differs slightly
from the one at your Fontmap or so.
5) Put a new alias in your Fontmap which "maps the different spelling" to
the one you've used in your Fontmap before.

Aliases work like this:

/Arial                /MS-Arial                               ;

means: use previously defined font MS-Arial for Arial, if Arial is requested
by a document.

(For further information: The whole howto is at:
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/howto/HOWTO/TT-Debian/ ).

Cheers,

Stephan