xine wants /dev/null - why?

Hey Yo Hoh!

Sound doesnt work with xine here (its an es1371, does
work under kde, xfce and progs like mpg321).
In the "setup window", "audio" the default driver is
"null" - not too cool! But even changing it to dsp or
/dev/dsp (is the device wanted here or really a driver?)
or es1371 doesnt have any effect at all.
No sound and again "null" as soon as I change the tabs in
the window (or restart the setup or the whole app).
Whats going wrong here - is it my fault or something
ugly?

thans in advance

cu
kamome