/etc/printcap with CUPS & Openoffice 1.0

hi.

this is getting frustrating. I recently setup CUPS on my desktop
to spool to a Jetdirect card connected to a HP Laserjet 4000.

I can print fine if i use lpr, or if i use netscape(4.x) which
calls lpr, or adobe acrobat reader which calls lpr too. everything
comes out fine.  I can print select(!) documents from open/star office.
specifically i have printed 2 documents, and they seem to print
reliably, i have printed each several times.

the rest of the documents go into a black hole. cups records
them being queued and claim they were accepted by the printer,
but monitoring the 'remote printer panel' from jetdirect admin tool
shows no data being recieved for most of the jobs(and nothing
comes out for them).

I have tried various different settings in staroffice 6.0 and
openoffice 1.0 and staroffice 5.2. I don't know why i can print
some documents(both are word docs), but not others. specifically
i mostly use star/open office to make generic address labels(printed
to normal US Letter paper, not to actual address label sticker things.
so the documents are not complex, just a few lines of text in a large
font(for boxes). i tried saving my documents into word format and
printing and nothing changed.

at the moment i have worked around it by printing to a file and
using ps2pdf to convert to pdf and printing from adobe acrobat.

I used to be able to print fine from staroffice 5.2, then i installed
6.0 and could not print anymore using my existing system, which
was spool to lpd locally, then spool to remote lpd, and it would
then spool through a NT server to the printer. thats when i
switched to cups.

i changed cups' config so it outputs the printcap file to /etc/printcap,
but that doesn't seem to have helped. the only thing it prints
out is the name of the printer and a colon. i'm really lost.

cups printer config:
<DefaultPrinter Pebbles>
Info Laserjet 4000
Location Hallway
DeviceURI lpd://pebbles.linuxpowered.net/lpd
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

it is using the driver "HP LaserJet 4000, Foomatic + Postscript"

I can print CUPS test pages all day long, no problem. so the problem
appears to be in openoffice 1.0 / staroffice 5.2 / staroffice 6.0
or in my /etc/printcap, maybe the format for it is wrong.

also i have lpd listening on my system through xinetd:

service printer
{
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	wait		= no
	user		= lp
	server		= /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
}

i can print from gnotepad+, but it too just calls lpr, maybe
star/open office do too ? i'm not sure what other apps i could
test that would behave like this. i can print from mozilla 1.0rc3
too, which does not specifically mention using lpr in the print
setup, but i suppose it could be too.

running debian woody

thanks

nate