Re: OT question sorry but i need salution fast ....

On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 02:14 , faisal gillani wrote:

well i have 2 ethernet networks running which i want
to connect but the distance between them is above 400
meters .. so this is way beyond the normal lan
hardware ..

First off, you might be able to get away with it. Make sure the link is running in full duplex --- between two routers, for example --- if you want any chance. The only thing that will stop you[1] is if the signal is not strong enough on the other end, or the noise has won. Amps might help, as would lower gauge wire. I'd be interested in hearing how how far you can get away with cat5.

The second option --- and this one will work --- is media converters. They are about $100 each off ebay. They will let you run 10km or so of fiber, far more than 400m. But this would require the use of fiber. Fiber has the advantage of not conducting as well.

[1] Before someone starts yelling collision domain, remember I said
    'full duplex'. There should be no collisions, and hence no
    problematic late collisions.