Re: [MDLUG] Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic---cramfs problem

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 21:13, Tom Allison wrote:

> devfs: v1.10 (20020120) Richard Gooch
> devfs: boot_options: 0x0

No matter what else is a problem, the above is also very much a problem.

Just say no to devfs.  It mucks with device things in ways that cause
exactly the sort of problem you have.

When you get this "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ..." error, this
generally means that the kernel was told root (the /) is on /dev/hdaX
when in fact, it is on /dev/hdaY (Y != X).  Note how devfs can
contribute to this, as root may really be on /dev/ide/bus/0/part/1 or
whatever sillyness it forces.

Regardless of devfs, boot with some sort of rescue disk (you do have a
rescue disk... right?), run fdisk to figure out where the partitions
containing root really are, modify /etc/lilo.conf (and /etc/fstab to
reflect reality), and rerun lilo.  If you use grub, well, sorry, cant
help here (but same basic concept).

--
Joe Landman,
email: landman@scientificappliance.com