Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

Gary Hennigan wrote:

"Jamin W.Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> writes:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:51:06 -0400
"Tom Allison" <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

I got a really interesting one.

I am running a stock K7 kernel from woody.
I recall seeing such things as cramfs, VFS, and initrd during the boot sequence.

I upgraded my RAM to replace the current 128M to 768M

Now, when I boot it panics with a message that VFS can't mount the root device at 03:02.

If I return to the original RAM, it's fine.

Have you tested the new memory?  Memtest86 is a great tool for doing just
this.

And there's a Debian package for it, memtest86!

I have to agree with Jamin here. While it's not impossible that it's a
software issue, it's much more likely to be a problem with your memory
or with one of the memory sockets on your motherboard. memtest86 is a
stand-alone memory tester (you boot into it) and it does a thorough
test that should point out a hardware problem.

If memtest86 shows an error you can try inserting the memory sticks
one at a time and if each one individually checks out it's probably a
problem with your motherboards memory sockets.

The BIOS memory test is practically worthless, BTW. It won't catch 90%
of memory errors.

Gary

I figured out the floppy boot for memtest86.bin. It's running now (wall time == 1:12:24 elapsed). I am currently on test #7 of ??? and have no errors. I assume that it's at least nothing obviously wrong with the RAM.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the cramfs/vfs/initrd implimentation in the debian woody package. It is unlikely that this problem might be caught prior to this as I don't know how many other people have upgraded RAM under woody lately.

But it's the only thing that I can think of that might be a contributor.
The RAM boots the debian 2.2 install CD.
The RAM is (so far) testing OK.
The failure during boot is where the VFS fails to find the device at the address/location specified. I was finding some comments about a potential problem with VFS and boot block size or something like that. It was brief and I wasn't really understanding it all. But is there someplace that I can look for any configuration/options on these?

Alternatively, I'll have to create a stand alone kernel and see if I can get it to boot sans cramfs/vfs/initrd. But that might set me back and bit.

I'm planning, upon successful completion of these tests, to reboot the PC and post as many lines of the boot process as I can stand to type that seem relevant.