Debian is not GNU (at least current GNU)

basic user here:
installed debian with a cd out of a magazine to boot with ftp and
dselect.
Looks fine to me. As basic user I don't even know what GNU is so I am
not too concerned about it.
Anybody who does should be able to get the tools he wants.
There are old apps in debian - but it works.
I had Suse and RH and MDK and other distros installed - all with the
newest, shiny stuff - only problem was a lot of apps keep crashing.
With debian I didn't have anything crashing so far.
I do want to thank everybody involved with debian to create a distro
that is more tailored towards stability than to include the latest
gizmos.
If somebody wants or needs those - hey you can always compile your apps
from source - nobody's stopping you.