Re: Debian GIS

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:58:52PM -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> On 2002.06.05 23:50 Eric G. Miller wrote:
> >GRASS is best
> >for folks doing raster analysis/modeling.  The vector stuff isn't
> >quite
> >"there" yet.
>
> Are there others that do better at vector-based modeling, or would I be
> best served waiting on GRASS to 'get there' ?

I'm not aware of any free software that has what I'd consider sufficient
support/functionality in the vector database and modelling area.  GRASS
does support vector data, it's just pretty limited in what you can do
with it.  GRASS 5.1 (in development) has a new data model and has seen a
great deal of work in this area, but will probably be quite some time
before the whole thing stabilizes (GRASS 5.0 "stable" is just being
released ...).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>