Re: restart all services?

on Sat, Jun 08, 2002, Gary Turner (kk5st@swbell.net) wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:47:38 -0700, justin cunningham wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to restart all services at once instead of individually?
> >Thanks, Justin
>
> Would "telinit -u" be the ticket?  See man telinit.

Good question.  I've not tried that.

If you can bounce the system, issue a shutdown to maintenance, and then
back up to full services.  That's not a system restart, but rather stops
all user and daemon processes, then restarts them.

If that's too drastic:

   $ for file in /etc/rc2.d/S*; do $file stop; $file start; done

...will stop and start each service in runlevel 2.

Note that you can frequently issue a "restart" rather than a start and
stop, but not always.  So I'm taking the conservative approach.

   TWikIWETHEY: Technology, free software, GNU/Linux, and a little bit
   of everything else:  http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/