Re: Thanks and > questions Was: Upgrade to Woody

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 01:16:03AM +0100, Paladin wrote:
> One of the first problems I noticed is that Eterm, even being a version
> superior to the one I had compiled myself, lacks some options (like
> shading). I guess these are compile time options. So I need to compile the
> source of Eterm. That's kind of easy. But I'd like to use debian packaging
> system to control all of my installed programs. I've had some experience
> with it (using deb-make and doing ./debian/rules install and somethings
> like those), but I've never got it right! I've read part of some
> documentations provided by Debian, but they're kind of long and... ok,
> they're LONG! ;P Can anyone give me a 3 step debian package building!? =)

First off, deb-make has been obsolete for years. If you want a modern
set of package building helpers, use dh-make and debhelper instead.

Of course, read the New Maintainer's Guide, and if you get stuck
remember this: building a Debian package, at its simplest, just consists
of compiling the software, copying it into a temporary directory tree,
adding some control data, and packing it up. There's lots of craftwork
on top of that, but if you remember that the basics really don't involve
much magic then you'll probably avoid a lot of confusion.

Beyond that, I think that the best advice is to go and study some
example source packages; they're all available for you to inspect.

> Another quick one: what's the version of qt lib that comes with woody?
> I've the versions 2.0, 2.2 and 3.0 listed in dselect!!

2.3.1 and 3.0.3 are both available, in libqt2 and libqt3 respectively.
2.0.2 was the version in potato.