Re: SMP working

When you reboot this machine, do you see 1 or 2 penguins on the screen (if you see any at all)

You can also do something like this,
run top in one window (console) and then
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null

If you see ~50% cpu idle, you have more than 1 cpu working... This little dd trick will use up ALL of a single cpu.

You should really see all of your cpu's listed in /proc/cpuinfo
If not, then your smp is not enabled. If you just built your kernel, make sure that your lilo.conf is pointing to the "new" kernel. I found that on a couple of my machines, "make install" of a custom kernel will put it in / and not /boot while lilo.conf was looking in /boot.

This bit me a while back.

If you are using the debian kernel image, make sure you got the SMP version, There is a 2.4.16-686-smp and 2.4.18-686-smp kernel image available.

Hope this helps,
Loren