Re: Why does Mozilla modify /etc/alternatives/netscape?

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:46:57AM -0400, Bruce wrote:
> Unfortunately, many sites I need to access EXPRESSLY DO NOT WORK with Mozilla
> or Netscape 6.0. These are unfortunately some of the most important sites I
> need to access, including some online banking sites, subscription based legal
> research sites, and others. They all work with Netscape 4.77. Most do not
> work with Mozilla/Netscape 6.

Many sites? Interesting. I have only found one site lately that does not work
with galeon / mozilla, and it uses flash heavily.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "do not work?" Examples?

First, contact the webmaster for these sites. They are HORRIBLY broken if they
don't support mozilla at this stage. It's a w3c compliance thing. I find that
when these sites are publicized, the Linux community gets active and the sites
get fixed pretty quick.

Second, try altering the useragent in prefs.js. Try claiming that you are IE or
old Netscape.  Sometimes I just remove the OS specific info which they don't
need anyway and things work. If it STILL doesn't work, then indeed the site is
COMPLETELY broken and the webmaster should definitely be flamed. Well, a little
education helps too.

I believe that someone has created a hack to allow you to specify the useragent
via the tool-bar.  Can someone who knows fill in the details about that?