[mostly-OT] apt-get on RH, is it worth anything? (was Re: Debian: abandon ship?)

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:48:15PM -0600, user list wrote:
[snip]
| The reasons I like [debian] are:
| 1. apt-get
[snip]
| I'll note in passing that the first reason has lost some edge now that
| RH 7.3 comes with apt-get and that there are ports to older RH releases.
[snip]

Is apt-get on RH 7.3 actually usable?  Not very long ago I had
requirements for using a RH box, so I installed the apt-for-rpm rpm
from http://freshrpms.net/apt/.  The system was a P90 with 96MB RAM
and 10GB disk.  apt was absolutely worthless on that system for two
reasons
    1)  RH 7.2 repositories had very few packages (that I needed)
    2)  The porters royally screwed up.
    3)  it's as out-dated as potato

To expand on #2 -- I have a 486SX with 8MB RAM and 230MB hdd at home.
It is running debian, and apt (both potato's and woody's) works just
fine amidst the thrashing.  The thrashing is wholly expected on such
hardware.  Since the RH 7.2 repositories were lacking I tried the
rawhide ones.  A good idea, right?  Kinda like trying woody or sid
when potato doesn't cut it.  On that machine with 96MB RAM (a 1200%
increase compared to the debian box!) apt-get dies with an
out-of-memory error.  The problem was that apt-for-rpm was trying to
mmap() the Packages file and it couldn't.  Why is that such a big
deal?  I couldn't do anything with apt if the rawhide repository
was in my sources.list.

#3 isn't such a big deal, but after being used to woody's apt, with
Preferences and all, seeing that potato's apt is the best thing to hit
RH since sliced bread ... well, you know what I mean.

Debian still maintains a strong edge over RH even in the apt arena.

Oh, BTW, I just checked the RH 7.3 package list on redhat.com, and apt
isn't mentioned anywhere.

-D

--

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he