Re: good Linux modems

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> > Note this also supports the new V92 standard. It seems like a good modem.
> > Any external modem would be Ok with Linux, but the USR models seem to be a
> > good safe choice.
>
> USB too?
> I remember having heard that USB modems were basically winmodems, and
> therefore wouldn't work with Linux. If you confirm that USB modems are
> ok I'll really conside buying one.

I don't know what you mean by USB. Did you mean to write USR or so you
really mean USB (Universal Serial Bus). I'll assume you mean the
following.

No external modem is a Winmodem. If you buy an external modem you are
safe. All external modems work fine with Linux. I consider buying an
external modem much preferable to buying an internal modem. The only
downsides are you will need an extra place to plug the adapter, the modem
itself occupies some space, and external modems are on average more
expensive than internal modems. However, these are minor issues, and if
you have a tower model you can put your modem on top of your computer.

The big advantages of an external modem are

a) You can see what state it is at all times, by looking at the little
lights. You don't have to guess, as you would with an external modem.

b) If it becomes necessary to reset the modem manually because it is not
responding to signals, you can do so easily.  With an internal this may be
possible, but it would mean going into the case.

c) You know it will work with any operating system. No Winmodem issues.

Note, by the way, that the "ultimate" modem is apparently considered the
USR external v everything, which is a "business" modem and retails at
$250. This is a little over the top, but you might be able to buy a decent
used one cheap somewhere. Don't know if I would really recommend this,
though.

                                               Yours, Faheem.