Re: good Linux modems

On 4 Jun 2002, Paul Miller wrote:

> Could someone recommend a good modem for linux?  I'm looking for a PCI
> modem with good voice and faxing capabilities.  I'm thinking about USR's
> 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem, anyone have experience with this modem?

I recently bought an external USR 56k Faxmodem. The model no is USR5686D.
Here is a link to the product page.
http://www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5686D

Note this also supports the new V92 standard. It seems like a good modem.
Any external modem would be Ok with Linux, but the USR models seem to be a
good safe choice.

I would advise not trying to save money by buying cheap modems. I think
you need to expect to pay around $100 for a decent modem. Previously I
bought a Diamond Supraexpress which was a good bit cheaper, because I was
stupidly trying to save money, and I had no end of trouble with it. My new
modem seems significantly better. It is less flaky about dropping
connections and transfers data faster.

                                                  Faheem.