Re: Debian: abandon ship?

> How does FreeBSD manage to stay reasonably secure and stable, yet modern
> (compared to Potato)?

I think it's because they don't have a "zero-bugs" release policy like
Debian. The base system is stable. The stuff in the ports tree is not, from
my experience. I once decided to install gdm on a FreeBSD box... There were
*lots* of broken dependencies in the ports tree, and I had to vgrep
the missing dependencies in the compile logs.  :-/

Besides that, Debian is an "automated configuration paradise" if
conpared to FreeBSD.

Anyway, if you manage to get over the problems you'll have to get it
working, you'll find that *after* it's installed and configured,
it's a very stable and powerful system.

But -- they don't think twice before adding things to the ports tree.
Just because it's "-STABLE", that doesn't mean there can't be new
software added to it. And actually, the FreeBSD "-STABLE" is a CVS
branch! What they do periodically is to ship snapshots of it. (And
of course, the snapshots are carefully prepared).

J.