DNS resolution problem

Hi,

I have a really strange DNS resolution problem.

I have set up and configured a Debian woody box as a gateway and firewall
for an internal network connected to the Internet via ADSL.  I use the
Debian ipmasq package for this.

The ISP assigns an IP address to the ethernet interface connected to the
ADSL network via DHCP.  A private IP address is assigned.  The ISP
presumably runs a NAT gateway to the public Internet.

The ISP also uses DHCP to give you the IP address of the nameserver you're
expected to use (they block UDP port 53 to every other address so you can
only use their nameserver).  This is also a private address (192.168.4.5).

Now here's the problem, and it's a really freaky one.  All hosts behind
the Debian box can access the Net just fine, using nameserver
192.168.4.5 to resolve names.  But the Debian box itself can't resolve
names.

And now's the really freaky part.  Using dig to query nameserver
192.168.4.5 from the Debian box as in:

dig @194.42.142.4 www.google.com

works just fine!  But putting 194.42.142.4 in /etc/resolv.conf and
doing

dig www.google.com

doesn't work!

How can a nameserver which does accept to do recursive resolution for
me when I query it directly refuse to do so when I put it resolv.conf?

Any ideas?

Best regards,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |