Re: VIA 8233 & ALSA

> Hi,
> As a newbie, I've been struggling to get my VIA 8233 onboard sound
> working on my freshly installed Debian Woody system. So far I've managed
> to get my USB mouse working, compiled from source the Linux kernel to
> 2.4.18 etcetera All this within a weeks time. But now I'm stuck with the
> audio.
> According to everyone I've got to install the ALSA package, which I did.
> But you guessed it right, no luck thus far.
> While roaming the net for info, I've come accross several people with
> the same question.
> Maybe someone can write a  good installation script/manual/howto etc. to
> once and for all settle this subject?

I had the hardest time getting this configured, and I've been running linux
since 1998.  Although I'm not a true "guru", I'm no newbie either, so don't
feel bad.

The problem I was having was particularly weasely (in my opinion).  I'm
running sid, and the problem I had was that alsaconf was trying to load a
non-existent driver.  I had to edit /etc/modutils/alsa and change the via???a
to via???, where the ??? is a 3-digit number like 626.

What are the exact errors you're getting?  I can send you more clear
information later, but you'll have to wait until I get home (I'm typing this
message from memory right now, so some of the details are fuzzy).

HTH

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli