Re: location of Maildir - /var/mail or ~/Maildir?

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:06:25PM -0500, Roach, Mark R. wrote:
| I know this might be a religious matter, but is there a good reason for
| maildirs to go in ~/Maildir?

DJB thinks that is the only way.

| This seems to be the only way courier will
| handle things,

Yeah, unfortunately.  You could either recompile it with a different
setting, hack up the startup script to pick somewhere else to root the
search, or use a symlink named ~/Maildir to point the the real
location.

| but I would like to be able to mount /var/mail from my
| mail server on my other systems so I can read mail without imap being
| involved (grep'ing, etc).

Nice idea.

| I see that with authuserdb, I can specify /var/mail for the Maildir, but
| I would prefer to not have to keep a separate password database just for
| imap. (I am currently using pam to authenticate against my ldap
| directory).

Hmm, is authuserdb a separate db or can it plug into LDAP?  IIRC
courier can authenticate against LDAP.

| Does anyone have any suggestions on what "the one right way" to do
| things is? should all mail be accessed via imap, should the mail server
| mount the users' home directories, or some other, better option that I
| am too dense to think of :) ?

The Right Way is for the imap server to be as flexible as the MTA is.
Unfortunately neither courier nor uw-imap are that flexible.
(Actually, I think uw is, but it's compile-time config).

(I haven't actually solved the imap problem myself, and have postponed
it because I don't have any users using it)

HTH,
-D

--

the nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.