Re: Global variables

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Actually what I'd like to know is the following: If '.bashrc' and '.profile' are
responsible for setting the individual users variables and '/etc/profile' the
global variables, why is it that if I set variables only in the '/etc/profile',
thus making them global, they are not viewed by the system.

Let me explain. As far as I understand each individual user can add or remove
variables in their own '.bashrc' and that will only affect their own individual
accounts, right? But on the other hand, if I, the super user, add or remove a
variable in the '/etc/profile' all the users in the system will be affected by
it, right?

Well, following this principal I have added the lines in the '/etc/profile' that
were suggested by the INSTALL file that comes with Qt, but still they are not
recognized by any other user accounts?

Could you please explain to me what I am doing wrong or if I had forgotten
something?

TIA