Keymap problem after install

Hi,

I've done a fresh install of 2.2.5 and subsequently have keymap
problems. The slash key (/) causes the speaker to beep and doesn't
display a character in a terminal. I've spent the night looking for
documentation and trying different keymaps but I get the same
result. Both US and US-Latin1 don't work nor do others. My
understanding is that this should not be happening with an ordinary
104 key english keyboard. Is there something else that could be
causing it? The keyboard works fine on this box - using a US keymap.
////  The slash character is kind of essential in unix/linux.

	bill