Re: Recovering a dd'd MBR -Possible?

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:50:19PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, May 26, 2002, Russ Pitman (rjp@belle.apana.org.au) wrote:
> > I have two hard drives, hda and hdb. I wiped the MBR on /dev/hdb not
> > realizing that it would cause the boot of /dev/hda to fail while it was
> > still in the chain.
>
> What are you running on the systems?  Is this a dual-boot system, or
> debian-only?

Only debian, in further detail,what I intended was to repartition hda to the
same as hdb,make it the boot disk,transfer all the files from hdb to hda and
keep both systems identical.

Then when/if apt-get upgrade broke something terminally, recovery by
rebooting to the other drive would be a simple procerure.

I got it wrong :-(

> If the first, run FDISK /MBR under DOS.
>
> If the latter, I'm a bit perplexed.  Check if any /dev/hdb partitions
> are marked bootable, try removing this flag.

Not sure, That box is tied up ATM for a few hours at least, will look later.

Later:	Rebooted with /dev/hdb back in the primary ide chain

'mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb2 /mnt' results in

' attempt to access beyond end of device
 03:42: ro=0, want=2, limit=0
 dev 03:42 blksize=1024 lbknr=1 sector=2 size=1024 count=1
 Ext2fs: unable to read superblock
 mount: wrong fs type, bad option  etc. etc.
	( normal mount error msg) '

running cfdisk gives
	No partition table or unknown signature on partition table

> > With /dev/hdb switched off /dev/hda boots fine, but I need to be able
> > to access /dev/hdb to transfe all/most of the files over to /dev/hda.
> >
> > Is it possible to rebuild the MBR on /dev/hdb without destroying the
> > filesystem.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Using grub as bootloader, on sid uptodate, if that is helpfull.
> >
> > Thanks, hopefully;
>
> Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

N/A
> Peace.