Re: Alsa 0.9 rc-1-2 with emu10k1 -> noise

Hi,

On 24 May 2002, Jord Swart wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 17:01, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > High,
> >
> > Sorry for the somewhat late reply, but I don't read my mail very well
> > anmore :-).
> Hi, thanks for the reply anyway, you're the only one. Think the rest of
> the world (including me) does a worse job at email than you.
>

> > On 18 May 2002, Jord Swart wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > Everything seem to be working perfectly (almost). Somehow as soon as
> > > some sound is made, it produces a lot of noise. I have no idea where it
> > > comes from or how I can turn it off. I've been playing with the mixer
> > > settings but it will not help.
> > >
> > > Anyone experiences here, or some suggestions?
> > >
> > Yes. I have the same audiosystem as you (with the same boxes) and it all
> > worked pretty well with alsa 0.5. I had tried 0.9 once, but it just did no
> > t work right, so I went back to 0.5. About a month ago I tried 0.9 again,
> > but I only could get sound out of one speaker and encountered other
> > problems, so I went back to the OSS driver, which works fine now. Perhaps
> > one day I will give alsa a try again when I use kernel 2.5 (alsa is
> > integrated there).
> >
> Got it up and running now with 0.9 (!). Took some time and some luck.
> With alsamixer defaulting to digital output and therfore only enabling
> two speakers. It would have been easier for me if nothing would have
> worked at all. Just did a lot of clicking and now I have 5.1 sound
> surrounding me :-)))

Hey, that is cool!

> > > Second question: does anyone know how to turn on my nice cambridge
> > > soundworks 5.1 system. At the moment sound only comes from the front two
> > > speakers. It would be nice if it used the other three too.
> > >
> > With alsa, use alsamix. You can also try to set the sound registers
> > manually, but I did not succeed this time. I got back to the OSS driver
> > and use kmix and got sound out of all four speakers. My center speaker is
> > still silent.
> Kmix for me, kinda did not do the job well. It only sees half of the
> relevant ports and has no control for front/rear audio. I installed
> gamix (which is for gnome) from scratch. That kinda does everything you
> can do. It also makes it very possible to install some mixer settings
> that will not produce any sound at all (especially if you start messing
> / mixing around with the pcm settings. You probably send your sound to
> /dev/null or so).

Well, AFAIK I have tried almost every option because I edited the
registers directly. Well, I am definately going to give it another try
when ALSA is said to be stable. Until now, the OSS driver produces sound
out of the 4 boxes surrounding me. It may front/right be the same sound
and no center, but I have no applications/movies that really use the 5.1
future.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan