Re: Menus not updating

On Sunday 26 May 2002 20:14, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 09:59:45PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > any package not supporting menu when it should (ie. almost any X app)
> > > is violating policy.
> >
> > The X apps do have this.  Console apps that previously did have menu
> > entries are slowly dropping them for whatever reason, despite the fact
> > that it would be reasonable to spawn an xterm and start it there.=20
> > Examples off the top of my head on this one are mutt and tin.
> >
> > --=20
> > Baloo
>
> $ cat /usr/lib/menu/mutt
> ?package(mutt):needs="text" section="Apps/Net" hints="Mail"\
>   title="Mutt"\
>   command="/usr/bin/mutt"
> $
>
> I don't use tin but the source package has
> tin-1.5.12.20020311/debian/tin.menu.
>
> $ cat tin-1.5.12.20020311/debian/tin.menu
> ?package(tin):needs="text" section="Apps/Net" hints="News"\
>   title="rtin"\
>   command="/usr/bin/rtin"
> $
>
> Both are from testing.
> According to http://packages.debian.org, the unstable packages of both apps
> have files in /usr/lib/menu and I tend to believe that they are identical
> to the files from testing. Are these files not satisfactory?

I use KDE and many non-KDE apps have a similar situation if they are nested
into a sub-menu.  For example, the default eroaster menu entry doesn't show
at all in the KDE menuing system.

?package(eroaster):needs=X11 section=Apps/Tools title="ECliPt Roaster" \
  command="/usr/bin/eroaster"

However, when I change "section=Apps/Tools" to "section=Apps/" it does appear
in the Debian sub-menu under the Apps section of the KDE menu bar.  I'm
unsure if I should file a bug report and, if so, against which package.

bob