Re: Problem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp_2.4.18-5_i386 from testing

> Well, it makes sense to make the kernel executable, but
> that doesn't seem to be the problem as the kernel seems to be
> executing already (all that output is from the kernel, I think).
>
> It all looks normal until the end, when the kernel can't mount>
> the root partition.  You say you have a SCSI disk, but I don't
> see any SCSI device drivers getting loaded in the kernel output.
> So.... you have to find a kernel with SCSI support compiled in
> and install that.  This kernel seems to assume all buses are
> PCI (and ISA?).
>
> HTH

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't the entire point of initrd to
NOT have to compile everything and the kitchen sink into the kernel?
The kernel very early on mounts a ramdisk from the initrd image at which
point modules and things can be loaded before the kernel starts doing
its thing, no?

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I get the impression that the kernel is able to
mount the initrd image:

> >RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> >RAMDISK: Loading 1988 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.

and it resides on the scsi hd.  Or is this something else?

Ken