Re: Sound problems - newbie

Thus spake Ian D. Stewart last Fri, May 24, 2002 at 07:52:05AM -0400:
> On 2002.05.24 06:32 Christoph Schaefer wrote:
> > Hi Glen,
> >
> > If adding yourself to the audio group doesn't solve the problem, try
> > it the
> > hard way:
> > as root do chmod 777 /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer
>
> According to the Sound HOWTO[1], the sound device files (/dev/audio,
> /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer) should have permisions 0666[2].

While this certainly works, this also means giving all users access to
the sound device, thus Debian policy (? - I think) was to restrict
access of certain services to members of a particular group, like users
who are members of the audio group are the only ones that can access the
sound device. For security's sake...

--

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone