Re: nntpcache

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:00:17AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:58:12AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Get hold of the .diff.gz from the Debian archive and try to apply it
> > over the source, then try to 'debuild -uc -us' (install devscripts and
> > fakeroot). This may get you started ...
>
> Nogo.  Complains about missing debian/rules.  I think the dsc file not
> being used has something to do with it.  What do I do with that file?

The .dsc is just a control file. 'dpkg-source -x foo.dsc' unpacks a
complete source package, but it's more trouble than it's worth to use it
for new upstream source. You don't need it here.

My guess is that you've unpacked the .diff.gz in the wrong place. What
exactly did you do? The normal sequence is:

  [cd to top-level source directory, with .diff.gz in parent directory]
  zcat ../foo.diff.gz | patch -p1 --dry-run
  [Did it complain about anything? If so, resolve the conflicts,
   otherwise:]
  zcat ../foo.diff.gz | patch -p1
  chmod +x debian/rules  # although the tools will do this automatically
                         # if you forget